Emergency Assistance Program

Emergency Assistance Program OverviewThe Wisconsin Department of Administration (DOA), Division of Energy, Housing and Community Resources (DEHCR), administers the federally funded Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Housing Program.  The State is responsible for distribution of Emergency Assistance Program (EAP) funds to Wisconsin Units of General Local Government (UGLGs) located in non-entitlement areas (i.e. outside of communities who receive an allocation of CDBG funds directly from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, (HUD). The UGLGs may be local communities, counties or regional program administrators. 

Precipitating Disaster EventEAP funds are linked directly to a natural or man-made disaster affecting Low - to Moderate - Income (LMI) households. Assistance may include, but is not limited to: 
-Housing Rehabilitation
-Housing replacement
-Disaster mitigation activities

Differences between EAP and CDBG-Housing
  • EAP funds are intended as grants (vs. loans) to LMI Households.
  • EAP project inspections are limited to the necessary repairs of disaster affected area (i.e. roof, windows, or furnace replacement). An HQS inspection of the total residence is not required for CDBG-EAP grants.
  • EAP does not require that an applicant have homeowner insurance in order to apply for assistance.

Mobile Home GuidelinesCDBG - EAP funds may be used to rehabilitate mobile homes, only if the repairs do not exceed the pre-disaster assessed value.
CDBG - EAP funds may be used to replace a mobile home damaged as a result of a disaster using the following guidelines:

  • The value of the moderately-priced modular home, which is equal to or less than the square footage of the damaged mobile home, is established.
  • Any housing assistance (insurance settlement, FEMA, or public/private funds) received by the mobile home owner for disaster recovery purposes must be deducted from the housing replacement costs before receiving a CDBG - EAP grant.
  • The owner of the mobile home must use CDBG-EAP funds toward the purchase of permanent replacement housing (including another mobile home). In no case, will any funds be disbursed that exceed the actual cost of the replacement housing. 

Mobile - Manufactured Home Replacement
  • Grantee will be required to file a legal document (i.e. deed restriction or forgivable mortgage) with the County Clerk establishing a 5-year of affordability (subject to review and approval by DECHR staff). 
  • Homeowner will be required to demonstrate ongoing proof of homeowner insurance for the entire 5-year period. Should a homeowner insurance policy lapse due to payment default, that individual household will be ineligible for additional EAP assistance during the remainder of the five-year forgivable mortgage period. 

Relocation AssistanceThis policy is intended to offer limited, focused relocation assistance to Low-to-Moderate-Income (LMI) households which are being voluntarily displaced from their home due to a natural or man-made disaster event. 

This need for this policy exists to assist households that are displaced by a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funded activity (Acquisition/Demolition/Relocation) under the following conditions: 

  • The sub-grantee (UGLG) is not exercising eminent domain.
  • The household is voluntarily accepting a buy-out as the cost of repairing their home exceeds 50% of the pre-disaster Fair Market Value (FMV).

Under the Emergency Assistance Program, CDBG-EAP grantees may offer optional relocation assistance to owner-occupants or tenants that meet income guidelines (below 80% of County Median Income) and have been or are in the process of being displaced from their homes by a natural or man-made disaster and need shelter. The policy to assist this population is as follows: 
Income eligible owner occupants or tenants displaced due to hazardous conditions may be eligible for the following:

  • Immediate hotel or transitional housing expenses (up to two months),
  • Security deposit on permanent replacement housing and the first two month's rent, up to a total of $3,000. Assistance will be provided to the tenant to locate a replacement dwelling, and 
  • Temporary storage and/or moving expenses not to exceed $500.
  • Total project costs shall not exceed $8,000 per household.